A Travellerspoint blog

Boarding the Ruby Princess

Saturday, 31 January 2015

View 2015-02 South America on greynomadm's travel map.

A rather restless night and loud noises out in the carpark. May have been just as noisy yesterday but we didn't hear it. Got up and grabbed a muffin and fruit for breakfast then packed the bags for an 1100 checkout.

On the advice of one of the hotel staff at about 0915 we walked about 250 metres to the top of the bridge that crosses the coastal canal. From there we had a great view of the Ruby Princess and no less than six other cruise ships in port that morning. Even at that early hour the traffic into and out of the port was almost in gridlock.

Back to the hotel and we check out and board the shuttle at 1100 along with passengers for two other ships. One couple who were on their first cruise had packed four large suitcases for a seven-day cruise. They were aghast that we were sailing for seven weeks with just one case each. I hope they found somewhere to store all that luggage.

Back to the shuttle. Despite the best efforts of our driver it took just short of 30 minutes to get to the first drop-off. The next one was relatively close and didn't take very long. It was just short of 1215 when she finally made it to the pier for the Ruby.

The check-in process was slow but moved along relatively well. There were frequent delays caused partly by the complexity of the passport requirements and the lack of preparation on the part of many first-time cruisers. There was also some lack of prior notice as to the documentation required. I was unaware that the entry permit for Argentina would be required at check-in. I had it with me, but had to dig through my folder to extract the pages. One lady next to us only had an electronic copy on her iPad.

Once checked in there were no further delays and we were pleasantly surprised that the cabin was ready for us. We also met our steward, Alfredo from Mexico. While waiting for our main luggage we found the Horizon Court and had a pleasant lunch. It was great to taste 'breaded scallops' again. 8-)

The emergency muster drill was delayed for 30 minutes and the ship was also late leaving the port. I suspect that the gridlock was partly to blame. The luggage arrived and we had almost all of it stored away before heading down to the Da Vinci dining room for the 1730 seating. There we met Mary and Donald who had asked us to share a table with them. We were assigned a pleasant table for four which was fine as both of them suffer from hearing loss. A pleasant dinner and an attentive waiter and assistant, coincidentally, also from Mexico.

The cabin is a different configuration to what we've previously experienced. There is adequate storage but no drawers for paperwork at the desk. The shower recess is the smallest we've had, barely bigger than the one in our last caravan. Still it is all adequate and the location is convenient to the outside decks and the forward stairwell.

There's been little opportunity for photographs but with two sea-days ahead that should be rectified.

Next update will be from South of Florida.

If you want to look at what I've been up to you can view my latest photo by following this link to the image for Today

Wishing you good health and safe travel.
Have a great day and stay well.
Cheers .. Tony

Posted by greynomadm 18:30 Archived in USA

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Glad to read that you're on your way. I did have a problem figuring out how you worked 7 weeks of varied climate into one suitcase each! You are both definitely experienced! Enjoy the cruise.

by milaniet

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint